Friday, December 24, 2010

The Goodness Of My Heart

"all our righteous acts are like filthy rags" Isaiah 64:6b

We were wrapping furiously! People were lining up to have those last minute gifts wrapped for free. Our church was doing Servant Evangelism, wrapping gifts for free outside of K-Mart. We had the requisite offers to give money, and always the incredulity as we declined and thanked them. My favorite reason as to why its free? "God gave us Jesus, all wrapped up for free- this is just a small token of that love shown in a practical way."

So as one lady began to offer money and get into asking why we would do such a thing for free, she said, "So you're doing this out of the gooDness of your heart..." to which the Spirit within me cried out, "Nooooooooooo..." Immediately I heard this verse in my head, "My righteousness is like filthy rags."

The truth is, I have no goodness in my heart; I only have the Love of God which He bestows upon me with which I turn and love others. It literally is a response to the overflowing Love of God that is only available in me as long as I stay under the spigot.

Father, forgive me for ever thinking that I do anything for You without You enabling me to do so. Keep me under Your waterfall of Love so that I may spread it to others.

Thank You, Jesus.

In the Potter's Hand,
JonWesley

No comments:

Post a Comment